Applying for an old timer registration
Vehicles which were registered for the first time 30 years ago (or more) are considered to be old timers. This depends on the day of first registration. Such vehicles which are in accordance with the original state as far as possible and are well maintained are items of automotive cultural property.
Old timers are not intended for everyday traffic However, there are historical vehicles whose number plates end in "H" which you can drive on public roads without restriction.
There is also the red old timer registration number which begins with "07". You can use this for more than one old timer and for the following purposes:
- Participation in events which showcase old timer vehicles and serve the "cultivation of automotive cultural property".
- Journeys to and from such events
- Inspection drives, test drives and transfer journeys with old timers.
- Journeys to the maintenance and repair of the old timer.
Note: Historical vehicles with corresponding registration numbers enjoy tax privileges. They are subject to a fixed vehicle tax.
Should you wish to drive in an environmental zone, please comply with the procedural description "Excemption permit concerning prohibition of driving in environmental zones".
the registration authorities (Zulassungsbehörde), which are responsible for the principle residence of the owner (otherwise: company premises or location of the relevant subsidiary)
The registration authorities are
- for an urban district (Stadtkreis): the city council (Stadtverwaltung)
- for a rural district (Landkreis): the rural district office (Landratsamt)
The requirements for the issuing of an old timer registration are, in particular, as follows:
- First registration at least 30 years ago
- Satisfactory state of maintenance of the vehicle which corresponds as far as possible to the original
- Qualified report, which provides proof of the characteristics of an old timer
Note: You can find detailed information in the "TÜV requirements catalogue for the expert assessment of old timers".
Further requirements are as follows:
- You must not have any fees and expenses outstanding from previous registration processes.
In case of payment arrears of more than 30 euros, the approval authorities may not register your vehicle until you have settled the amount. In case of payment arrears of less than 30 euros, the licensing authorities can decide whether they will register the vehicle anyway or not.
- You may not have any vehicle excise duty debts of 5 euros or more. When calculating the amount, default supplements, interest and lateness surcharges are taken into account.
- Should somebody represent you during the registration process of your vehicle, you must issue them with written power of attorney. This power of attorney must contain a statement of consent that the licensing authorities may inform the representing person of outstanding fees and charges on your part. Your representative must show the power of attorney and identify himself or herself.
You or your representative must apply for the registration of your vehicle as an old timer at the competent licensing authority.
Depending on what is offered by your licensing authority, a form for downloading or an online service via the Internet are available.
The licensing authority may request that you show the vehicle.
The licensing authority will issue your vehicle with a licence plate and attach the stickers (main inspection and stamp) to it.
Tip: You can obtain numberplates from private providers, which are usually located close to the licensing authorities.
- Valid personal identity document or passport
- Additionally in case of representation:
- Written power of attorney
- Valid personal identity document or passport of the representative
- Additionally in case of minors:
- Declaration of consent and identity documents of the guardians
- In case of legal persons/companies:
- Declaration concerning the vehicle tax collection
- Certification of registration part II (previously: registration certificate)
- Registration certificate part I (previously: registration certificate) or de-registration confirmation issued prior to 1 October 2005
- If applicable, previous registration number
- Old timer expert report concerning the classification of the vehicle as an old timer in accordance with § 23 of the German Road Traffic Permit Act (StVZO) and the regulations for the inspection of old timers
- of an expert or an officially recognised expert
- of an inspector for motor vehicle traffic or
- of an inspection engineer of an officially recognised monitoring organisation
- Confirmation of insurance (eVB code)
- Proof of reservation should you have applied for a vanity plate in advance.
- Additionally in case of red old timer numberplates:
- List of those vehicles for which you require red registration plates (by means of submission of corresponding vehicle papers)
- Information from the German Federal Central Register - Bundeszentralregister
- Information from the central traffic register of the Federal Motor Vehicle Transport Authority (Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt - KBA)
- Confirmation that the vehicle is intended to participate in old timer events
Note: Disabled persons with the mark "H", "BI" or "aG" in their disabled person's identity document continue to be exempted from vehicle excise duty. Due to the proof in their identity documents, such persons do not need to submit a direct debit authorisation.
Further information can be obtained from the of the tax offices in the German State of Baden-Württemberg in the information sheet "direct debit transfer as a requirement for the registration of a vehicle".
Note: The confirmation of insurance concerning the third party liability policy can be obtained from the insurance company of your choice. You can usually request this by telephone. The insurance will be automatically informed of the issuing of an old timer registration.
Fees in accordance with the administrative expense: from 26.80 euros
Note: The number plates will be subject to an additional fee.
The Federal Customs Administration is now responsible for the taxation of vehicles. "Information and forms concerning the subject of "vehicle tax" can be found on the Internet pages of the Customs Administration.
- § 2 Nr. 22 Fahrzeug-Zulassungsverordnung (FZV) (Begriffsbestimmungen)
- § 9 Fahrzeug-Zulassungsverordnung (FZV) (Besondere Kennzeichen)
- § 23 Straßenverkehrs-Zulassungs-Ordnung (StVZO) (Gutachten über die Einstufung eines Fahrzeugs als Oldtimer)
- § 1 Gesetz über die Verweigerung der Zulassung von Fahrzeugen bei rückständigen Gebühren und Auslagen (Fahrzeugzulassungsverweigerungsgesetz) (Verweigerung der Zulassung)
- § 13 Kraftfahrzeugsteuergesetz (Feststellung der Besteuerungsgrundlagen, Nachweis der Besteuerung und Zulassungsverweigerung bei Steuerrückständen)
- Gebührenordnung für Maßnahmen im Straßenverkehr (GebOSt)
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Verkehrsministerium released it on 16.09.2020. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.