Industrial park St. Leon-Rot
In 1962 the mayor then, Isidor Thome (1954 – 1968), located the former subsidiary of the Metallgesellschaft AG, Frankfurt, the company Kolbenschmidt in the area of “Stegerfeld”, under the condition that a ground reserve of approx. 77 hectares would be provided. On agreement by the local council at that time the foundation for the current industrial park had been laid. This option ground lay waste for many years until in 1990 the local council decided to use the ground reserve for the settlement of trade and industry. A development and marketing company Ltd. was established together with the Metallgesellschaft. However in 1995 the Metallgesellschaft got into financial straits due to oil forward transactions and decided to sell the local prop-erty (35 hectares of ground and 42 company-own flats). The local council took this opportunity and took over the shares. So the industrial park could continue to be developed.
21 million DM were invested in three stages and companies set up, whereby importance was attached to the solidity and the environmental compatability of the future companies as well as to additional jobs and tax revenues.
In 1995 SAP Germany moved into its first building in the industrial park of St. Leon-Rot. Since 1996 there is a logistic centre with a printing plant, shipment and warehouse situated in the industrial park. At the beginning of 1998 SAP Germany decided to extend its location in St. Leon-Rot. Preceding this the local council had given its consent to the construction of a service centre with about 1100 work places. With investments of 100 million DM a rapid development was initiated, creating many jobs. In the year 2000 SAP alone employed more than 2000 employees at the industrial park. Another approx. 600 were added when other office buildings and the data processing centre were taken into operation. Meanwhile the next extension stage has been carried out by SAP thus creating another 800 – 900 jobs.
Naturally successful companies like SAP attract other companies so that today an industrial and commercial location with the flair of a park has come into being on the formerly waste ground of the area of “Stegerfeld”.
The traffic links are also interesting: there is a fast access to the centres of Heidelberg and Bruchsal via the federal road B3. The motorway exits Wiesloch / Walldorf and Kronau are not far. And the nearby suburban railway station Rot/Malsch is of special importance to the industrial park as there are regular trains to and from Mannheim/Heidelberg resp. Karlsruhe/ Bruchsal guaranteeing connections to the regional and national rail traffic.