Procedure descriptions

Applying for a licence (approval) to work as a vet

If you wish to work as a vet permanently in Germany, you must be approved (licensed) for this profession.

Responsible department

Stuttgart Regional Council



You receive a licence if you:

  • Have completed a course of study in veterinary medicine
  • Have passed a professional examination for vets in Germany following a total period of training of at least five years, of which six months consisted of practical experience
  • You have not behaved in a way which suggests you are unsuitable or unreliable for practising as a vet
  • You are not incapable of working due to physical or mental illness
  • You possess the necessary knowledge of the German language in order to work

Studies in veterinary science carried out in the other EU/EEA states or in Switzerland are considered equivalent to a course of study in Germany. Thereby the study must have taken place at a recognised university


The application for a licence must be submitted to the competent body in writing. Your application must be signed by hand. The application must contain a note, stating that you wish to work in Baden-Württemberg.

You will be informed within four weeks as to whether your application is complete or whether you must submit additional documents.

You must provide proof of the equivalence of the training which you have completed abroad For this purpose, send certificates and transcripts to the competent body, together with a certificate of conformity. If applicable, you must take supplementary examinations and/or tests of knowledge.

Following the successful granting of a licence, you will be issued with a licence document.

Required documents

  • Declaration that no criminal court proceedings or investigative proceedings by the prosecutor's office are pending against you.
  • Medical certificate (not older than one month) which does not state that you are unsuitable for working in the profession due to health issues.
  • For proof of personal reliability:
    • In case of residency in Germany: Certificate of good conduct (Führungszeugnis)
    • In case of residency abroad: Documents from your home country which prove your reliability.
  • CV with a focus on your professional experience up until now.
  • Birth certificate (Geburtsurkunde)
  • If applicable, marriage certificate (Eheurkunde)
  • Certificates in original text form or officially certified (for example diplomas) from the veterinary science examination or
    • Proof of education of the respective EU/EEA state or Switzerland or
    • Proof of education and certification of the competent authorities of the respective country

In original version or officially certified:

  • Personal ID card or a comparable identification document
  • If applicable, certification of a completed internship in abattoir and meat inspection.
  • Registration confirmation of the respective city/municipality
  • Proof of sufficient command of the German language
  • Declaration that no other application for a licence to practise has been submitted to any other German authority.
  • Proof that you intend to work in Germany.

In order to check personal reliability, the competent body can request further documents.

In addition, further proof (such as proof of work experience) can be requested. Please contact the competent body directly.

Note: Documents written in foreign languages must be translated into German. The translation must be undertaken by an officially certified document translator. Diplomas, certificates of the veterinary science degree and proof of employment must be submitted as certified translations.


Issuing of the licence: 250 Euro

Processing time

Usually two to three weeks following receipt of all necessary documents, however at the most approximately three to four months.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Ministerium für Ländlichen Raum und Verbraucherschutz released it on 31.07.2017. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.