Procedure descriptions


Applying for a commercial road haulage permit

Do you intend to transport goods in Germany by means of vehicles commercially or for money? And do you use vehicles whose permitted overall weight including trailers is more than 3.5 tonnes? Then you require a permit from the locally responsible traffic authorities (operations).

Transportation of goods across international borders

For the transportation of goods across international borders with EU/EEA states, you require a Community licence (EU licence). You can also use the licence for transportation within Germany. In addition, the licence entitles you to carry out internal transportation in other EU/EEA states (cabotage transportation).

In addition, a CEMT permit may also be necessary for the transportation. With this permit, you may carry goods in commercial road freight traffic for commercial purposes between 41 CEMT member states, the place of loading and unloading must be in two of the European states which are a member of the treaty. These are the EU and EEA states, as well as a number of countries in Eastern and South-eastern Europe.

Transportation in third countries (non-EU/EEA states)

For transportation in third countries which are non-EU/EEA states (such as Croatia for example), you require the permit for commercial transportation of goods for the portion of the journey in Germany.  You can obtain the "bilateral permits" for the parts of the journey in third countries.

Please note: If you travel in or through Switzerland as part of the commercial transportation of goods, you require a valid Community licence (EU licence).

Note: The transportation of works does not count as the commercial transportation of goods. The transportation of goods for one's own purpose comes under the transportation of works. The transportation or delivery of the goods which you consume, manufacture or further process yourself must only be an auxiliary activity. You do not require a permit for the transportation of works, however you must notify the (Bundesamt für Güterverkehr) for this.


Responsible authority

  • if your future premises are in an urban district (Stadtkreis): the city council (Stadtverwaltung)
  • if your future premises are in a rural district (Landkreis): the regional council offices (Landratsamt)


As a company headquartered in Germany, you will receive the permit subject to the following conditions:

  • You and the persons involved in the management of the transportation of goods business are reliable. Both the company and the transport manager must prove the reliability to the permit authorities.
  • The financial security of your company must be guaranteed.
    The company requires share capital plus reserves. The amount of the capital is calculated by the number of the vehicles intended for use. For the first vehicle, the entrepreneur requires share capital of 9,000 euros, for each further vehicle, 5,000 euros. Trailers or semi trailers are both classified as vehicles. This also applies to the use of rental vehicles.
  • You and the persons involved in the management of the transportation of goods business are professionally suitable. As an example, you are professionally suitable if you have passed a technical examination set by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry (IHK). On a transitional basis, you can also prove professional suitability by means of ten years of managerial experience in a passenger transportation company. All final examinations recognised as equivalent up until now will also continue to apply as being the same, provided they were successfully concluded before 4 December 2011.

Note: More information can be obtained from the competent body for your place of business.


You must apply for the Community licence (EU licence) or a national permit for the transportation of goods at the competent body. The application for issuing of a permit or licence must correspond to enclosure 1 of the General Administrative Regulation concerning the German Road Haulage Act (GüKVwV).

The competent body will give the following institutions the opportunity to make a statement:

  • The Bundesamt für Güterverkehr,
  • The Industrie- und Handelskammer,
  • The specialist trade union responsible
  • and the Verband des Verkehrsgewerbes.

The competent body will make the final decision concerning the application.

Required documents

The competent body may request further documents. More information can be obtained from the competent body for your place of business.

Tip: The obtaining of the certificate of good conduct and the extract from the central commercial register take the longest amount of time. Therefore, you should apply for these documents first. You can submit the other proof later. These must however be present in order to reach a final decision.


Duration of validity

In case of first application, the licence and the permit are valid for up to ten years.

  • The licence must be re-applied for following expiry. It will then apply for a further ten years.
  • The permit can be issued by the competent body for an unlimited period of time following the new application. However, a check will be made every ten years as to whether you fulfil the requirements as before.


  • Community licence (EU licence): 120 to 700 euros.
  • Permit for commercial transportation of goods: 120 to 700 euros.

Note: Further costs will be incurred for the information from the registers and for the issuing of other proof. This also applies to the certified copies of the EU licence and duplicates of the permit, which must be carried in the vehicles.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Verkehrsministerium released it on 17.05.2018. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.