Procedure descriptions

License for rental cars

Transport with rental cars is the transportation of persons with passenger cars against payment or professionally (with the intent to repeat), which are rented on the whole for transportation and with which the businessman undertakes journeys, whose purpose, destination and organisation are determined by the person renting the car.

You may obtain a licence which is valid for a maximum of five years. Once it expires, you may have it extended.

Rental cars, as opposed to taxis:

  • Rental cars may not be kept in public places and streets ready to transport passengers, as opposed to taxis. Rental cars basically have to return to the premises of the company after each transport.
  • Unlike taxis, there is no obligation to operate permanently and to transport passengers.
  • The fare is open to agreement (has to be determined however by means of an odometer).
  • The colour of the vehicles is not specified.
  • As opposed to taxis, there are no restrictions in the number of licenses.

Note: To prevent misunderstandings: in the case of rental cars based on the Passenger Transportation Law we are not dealing with vehicles that are rented to self drivers.



  • reliability
    To assess the reliability of the businessman or the person appointed to manage the business, one can use information from the Federal Central Criminal Register, the Central Trade Register and also the Central Traffic Register. Likewise information on tax payments or social insurance contributions in arrears is significant.
  • proof of professional suitability
    The businessman or the person appointed to manage the business has to be professionally suitable. This can be proved by means of
    • a written examination at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry (IHK)
      The examination certificate has to be presented.
    • at least a three year managing function in a company dealing with rental cars
      A corresponding technical qualification certificate issued by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
    • a recognised equivalent final examination (e.g. rail and road traffic qualifications focussing on passenger transportation)
      In this case a certificate of the final examination has to be presented.

Note: If the professionally suitable person is not the owner of the company himself, then the employment contract for the person appointed to manage the business has to be presented.

  • proof of financial rating
    Financial rating is proven by the equity capital plus the company reserves. The amount is determined by the number of vehicles planned for use. Equity capital amounting to Euro 2,250 has to be proven for the first vehicle, for every other vehicle an amount of Euro 1,250 . By means of documents of compliance it also has to be proven that there are no arrears in tax payments or social insurance contributions.
    Note: The details on the financial rating may not date back to more than twelve months.


Application forms can be obtained at specialised publishers and the Public Transport Association of North Baden, South Baden and Württemberg. Depending on what is offered by the licensing authority, the form is also available as a download.

After making the application with the complete documents, amongst others, the municipalities, the Chambers of Commerce and Industry, the relevant Trade Union and the Association for Passenger Transportation are given opportunity to comment by the licensing authority. After the deadline for the comment has expired, a decision can then be made on the application.

Tip: Experience shows that in particular obtaining the Certificate of Good Conduct and Excerpts from the Central Trade Register take the longest. Therefore you should apply for these documents first of all at your municipality of residence in order to present them to the license authority. The Excerpt from the Central Traffic Register can be obtained free-of-charge from the Federal Bureau of Motor Vehicles and Drivers in Flensburg. The remaining documents can be handed in subsequently after submitting the application form, however in your own interest they should be presented together with the application.

Required documents

  • excerpt from the Federal Central Criminal Register (Certificate of Good Conduct)
  • information from the Central Trade Register
  • excerpt from the Central Traffic Register
  • excerpt from the Trade Register or Public Register of Cooperatives (certified copies)
  • copy of the articles of association and the list of shareholders
  • proof of the authority to represent the company in the case of legal entities
  • document of compliance from the tax authorities
  • document of compliance from the relevant municipality
  • document of compliance from the social insurance institution
    You need the document from health insurance funds in which your employees are insured or you have insured your employees and also if applicable for yourself if you are or were voluntarily/privately insured.
  • document of compliance from the Professional Association for Vehicle Ownership
  • proof of professional suitability
  • statement of equity capital and if applicable additional statements
  • if another person is appointed to manage the business, then the following has to be presented for him:
    • certificate of good conduct
    • information from the Central Trade Register
    • excerpt from the Central Traffic Register
    • proof of professional suitability
    • proof of employment

Note: The date of the equity capital statement and if applicable of the additional statements may not date back to more than twelve months. Certificate of good conduct, information from the Central Trade Register and excerpt from the Central Traffic Register many not date back to more than three months when presenting all application documents for the application. Likewise the due date of the documents of compliance should not be older than three months starting from the submission day.


Due to the generally applicable exemptions issued by the Regional Councils (Regierungspräsidien), advertising on all body parts is permissible. Further information can be found in the general permission issued by the Regional Council in Stuttgart permitting advertising on taxis and rental cars (Allgemeinverfügung des Regierungspräsidiums Stuttgart über die Zulassung von Werbung an Taxen und Mietwagen). Please note that there are identical regulations from all Regional Councils.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Ministerium für Verkehr und Infrastruktur released it on 16.02.2016. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.