State Professional Body of Vets - registration of membership
You may only work as a vet in Baden-Württemberg if you have obtained a German licence or you are in possession of a temporary or restricted permit to work in the veterinary profession.
On commencement of work as a vet, in accordance with the law you are a member of the State Professional Body of Vets of Baden-Württemberg.
The main duties of the chamber are, amongst other things, to look after the professional interests of the members, to promote further and advanced training and to monitor compliance with professional obligations.
You must pay an annual fee as a member. This is gathered by the Body in order to cover its expenses. For the first year following the obtaining of the licence or professional permit, you are exempted from payment of the fee.
Note: Should you move your activities as a vet or your place of residence (without being employed as a vet) abroad, you can remain as a voluntary member.
Baden-Württemberg Federal Chamber of Veterinary Surgeons
- be a vet,
- possess a German license or have a temporary or restricted licence to work as a vet (in Baden-Württemberg, this is issued by the Regional Council of Stuttgart ) and
- work as a veterinary surgeon in Baden-Württemberg or, if you do not exercise your profession, be resident in Baden-Württemberg.
Please contact the administrative office of the State Professional Body of Vets in advance by telephone, email or fax This will then send you the registration documents by post. Alongside the registration forms, you will also receive the code of conduct of the Body and information brochures.
The registration forms are not available for downloading.
You must register with the competent authority within one month of starting work as a veterinary surgeon in Baden-Württemberg or of registering as a resident of Baden-Württemberg.
- Filled in registration form
- certificate of appointment or the licence to practice as a veterinary surgeon, or a certificate with the permit to exercise the veterinary profession
- MD degree certificate or certificate with the authorisation to use an academic degree, proof of the award of the official professional titles
- certificate with the authorisation to use a title for a specialist field, a specific branch of the field or an additional title
Note: The certificates have to be presented in original or as a certified copy. The Federal Chamber of Veterinary Surgeons can request that the original documents be presented.
The processing time depends on full submission of the required documents.
- §§ 2, 3 Heilberufe-Kammergesetz (HBKG) (Kammermitglieder, Melde- und Auskunftspflichten der Mitglieder, Datenverarbeitung durch die Kammern, Verwaltungszusammenarbeit mit Behörden des Herkunfts- und Aufnahmestaates)
- §§ 2, 3 Beitragsordnung der Landestierärztekammer Baden-Württemberg
- §§ 1, 2 Meldeordnung der Landestierärztekammer Baden-Württemberg
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Ministerium für Ländlichen Raum und Verbraucherschutz released it on 31.07.2017. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.