Residence permit for the purpose of research - application
You possess a foreign nationality and wish to perform scientific work in a German research facility? With a residence permit for the purpose of research, you may
- carry out research activity at the research facility named in the hosting agreement and
- carry out teaching activities.
Note: The term "research facility" also includes companies who carry out research.
The residence permit for the purpose of research is valid for a limited period of at least one year. You can apply to have it extended. However, if you terminate your research project before this period ends, your residence permit expires at the same time.
- You satisfy the passport and visa obligation.
With respect to the passport obligation, it is sufficient if you possess an alternative identity document.
- Your subsistence is considered to be assured. In this respect, your income in Baden-Württemberg in 2012 must be at least 21,000 euros or 1,750 euros per month.
- There are no grounds for your expulsion.
- Your stay does not endanger or prejudice the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You are a scientist and you wish to work in a German research facility.
- The research facility is recognised by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge ).
- You have concluded a hosting agreement with the research facility.
- The research facility has provided a declaration of assumption of costs.
Recognised research facilities can commit themselves to bear subsistence costs on a case-by-case basis or generally. The BAMF publishes general cost assumption declarations, updated daily, in the Internet.
The research facility recognised by the BAMF concludes a hosting agreement with you. This must contain the following information:
- Exact description of your project
- Your commitment to carry out the research project
- The commitment of the research facility to employ you for this purpose
- Details of the contract between you and the facility (for example, salary, vacation, working hours)
- A provision that the hosting agreement becomes ineffective if you do not receive a residence permit for the purpose of research
The research facility will forward the signed hosting agreement to the competent authority.
If the project is changed during the period of research, this has no effect on your residence as long as you remain employed by the same research facility.
Do you already possess a residence title of a different EU member state? Then you have the following options:
- The EU member state is also a Schengen state.
- With this residence title, you can enter Germany and carry out scientific work there for periods of less than three months. You need not apply for a German residence permit for this. However, if you have already worked in Germany within the previous twelve months, then you require a Schengen Visa for your next stay. This visa must permit research activity.
- If your research stay is longer than three months, you require a German residence permit. You must apply for this within three months of your entry to the competent authority for foreign nationals. If you have already worked in Germany within the previous twelve months, you must apply for a national visa before entry. This visa must expressly permit activity as a researcher.
- The EU member state is not a Schengen state.
In this case, you always require – even for the first three months – a residence title. This residence title can be a visa, for example. You can apply for this to the competent diplomatic mission abroad. Depending on the period for which you require the visa, you will receive a Schengen visa or a national visa which permits the research activity.
As of September 1st, 2011 the residence title is the size of a credit card and it incorporates additional electronic functions. For more detailed information, see "Electronic residence title (eAT) - application".
- Proof that you satisfy the passport and visa obligation
- Proof that your subsistence is assured
- Proof that there are no grounds for your expulsion
- Proof that you do not endanger or prejudice the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Proof of your scientific activity
- Proof that the research facility is recognised by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF)
- Proof of the concluded hosting agreement
- Proof of the research facility's declaration of assumption of costs
- Validity of up to one year: 100 euros
- Extension up to three months: 96 euros
- Extension of more than three months: 93 euros
Four to six weeks
In the following cases, the authority for foreign nationals can cancel the residence permit for the purpose of research:
- Your research facility has lost its recognition due to one of your activities.
- You no longer carry out research.
- You can no longer satisfy one of the prerequisites, on the basis of which, the research facility concluded the hosting agreement with you.
- § 20 Aufenthaltsgesetz (AufenthG) (Forschung)
- §§ 38a – 38f Aufenthaltsverordung (AufenthV) (Anerkennung von Forschungseinrichtungen und Abschluss von Aufnahmevereinbarungen)
- § 52 Aufenthaltsgesetz (AufenthG) (Widerruf)
- § 2 Abs. 3 Aufenthaltsgesetz (AufenthG)
- § 18 des Vierten Buches Sozialgesetzbuch (SGB IV) (Lebensunterhalt)
- § 45 Aufenthaltsverordnung (AufenthV) (Gebühr)
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Innenministerium released the full description on 12.03.2015. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.