Housing Benefit - Permit for Subsidised Housing

You can receive housing benefit in the form of a rent allowance or home upkeep support if you live in your own residential property or if you rent your accommodation. If you move house, you lose your entitlement to housing benefit. You are obliged to inform the housing benefit authorities without delay of your move. The housing benefit notice will become invalid. If you have received too much housing benefit, you have to refund it. You should file an application for the new housing immediately so that your housing benefit is paid without interruption.

A permit for subsidised housing is a prerequisite to move into subsidised housing (council housing). However it does not entitle its holder to move into such housing. The validity of a permit issued for subsidised housing is restricted to a maximum period of one year. If you move into council housing after this period expires, a new permit for subsidised housing has to be issued beforehand.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wirtschaftsministerium released it on 09.07.2015. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.