Driving licence - applying for accompanied driving from the age of 17
Whoever would like to get their driving licence class B and BE (cars) before they reach the age of 18, can take part in the "Accompanied driving from the age of 17" program. Youths receive permission to drive a vehicle if they are accompanied by at least one explicitly named person (accompanying person), who meets the necessary requirements.
The accompanying person should be available as a contact person before starting to drive and while driving, to give the youth confidence when driving and to give him/her advice and brief information.
- if you live in an urban district (Stadtkreis): the city council (Stadtverwaltung)
- if you live in a rural district (Landkreis): the rural district office (Landratsamt)
- has to be at least 16.5 years old in order to be able to apply for a driving license with the obligation that he/she is to be accompanied and has to have the agreement of the legal representatives - i.e. normally the parents,
- may only drive together with an accompanying person registered in the test certificate until he/she has reached the age of 18.
The accompanying person
- has to be explicitly named,
- has to have reached the age of 30,
- has to have been in possession of a valid driving license class B (car) for at least five years,
- no more than one point may be on record in the driver suitability register at the time the test certificate is issued.
Note: The 0.5 mg/ml ruling and also the ban on intoxicating drugs applies to the accompanying person.
If you want to take part in the "Accompanied Driving from the Age of 17" program, then complete the application to be issued with a driving license class B or BE directly at your relevant authority.
In addition, the "Antrag auf Teilnahme am Begleiteten Fahren ab 17" (Application to take part in the Accompanied Driving from the Age of 17 program) and also for the accompanying person an "Anlage zum Antrag auf Teilnahme Begleitetes Fahren ab 17" (Annex to the application to take part in the Accompanied Driving from the Age of 17 program) has to be completed.
To prove your entitlement to drive, you will receive a test certificate which is only valid in Germany.
After reaching the age of 18, you will be issued with a normal driving license card in exchange for the test certificate.
The applicant has to present the following documents:
- an ID card or passport with a valid certificate of registration (Meldebestätigung)
- a photograph, which complies with the provisions of the passport law (Passverordnung)
- Eyesight test certificate (not more than two years old)
- Proof of having received instructions for immediate lifesaving measures
In addition, the "Anlage zum Antrag auf Teilnahme am Begleitetes Fahren ab 17" (annex for the application to take part in the Accompanied Driving from the age of 17 program) has to be presented for each accompanying person with the following documents:
- personal details and signature
- copy of the identity card
- proof that you are in possession of a driving licence, if necessary, copy of the driving license
The theoretical exam may be taken at the earliest three months before your 17th birthday, the practical exam at the earliest one month before your 17th birthday.
In comparison to the "normal" driving license, the following additional charges are incurred:
- to issue the test certificate 7.70 euros
- to check an accompanying person: between 1.50 euro and 10 euros
- to get information about an accompanying person in the Driver suitability register: 3.30 euros each
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Verkehrsministerium released it on 20.06.2017. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.