Extending a residence permit for students from countries outside the EU/EEA
You must extend your residence permit in plenty of time if you wish to continue studying in Germany. This applies to all citizens from countries outside the EU or EEA pursuing a course of study in Germany.
You can find more information about validity periods and conditions at “Applying for a residence permit for students from countries outside the EU/EEA".
the authority for foreign nationals in the district where you normally reside
Depending on where you live, the authority for foreign nationals is the city council (Stadtverwaltung) or rural district office (Landratsamt).
In order to extend your residence permit, you must meet the requirements for the initial issue of a residence permit:
- Course of study at a
- state-run or
- state-recognised institute of higher education (university, teacher training college, art college, university of applied sciences) or
- comparable training institute (e.g. Baden-Württemberg Cooperative State University)
- Study as the main purpose of your stay
This includes all phases of your training:
- language course or preparatory college
- language examination
- work placements preparing you for your studies (insofar as these are recommended or prescribed by the institute of higher education)
- degree course (foundation course, advanced course, study-related work placements, interim and final examinations)
- postgraduate studies, additional studies or doctoral studies
- practical work following your course (if this is an obligatory part of your training)
- You have adequate financial resources (the assessment threshold is the maximum subsidy rate stipulated in the Federal Training Assistance Act (BAföG)) and are covered by health insurance in Germany.
- You satisfy the requirements for access to the desired training institute.
You are not permitted to make up the general education requirements in Germany.
You may not
- delay your studies inappropriately or
- exceed the average course duration.
You must apply to extend your residence permit in writing.
You will receive the residence permit in the format of a bank card incorporating additional electronic functions. You will find further information at “Application for electronic residence permit (eAT)".
- Certification confirming the purpose of your stay, e.g.
- admission to language course or course of study
- matriculation certificate
- proof of progress in studies
- evidence of financial resources, e.g.
- statement describing your parents’ income and assets
- payment of a surety into a blocked account in Germany
- subsidy agreement
- proof of health insurance
- passport valid for at least the duration of the residence permit you are applying for. For Swiss citizens, it is enough to provide a valid personal ID card.
- a current passport photo
- Extension by up to three months: EUR 65.00
- Extension by more than three months: EUR 80.00
- for young people under 18 years: half the fee
- for people receiving public funding for their stay in Germany: none
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Innenministerium released it on 18.02.2015. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.