Apply for employer identification number
Whenever you have to submit a notification to the social security authorities (for example, registering employees), you need an employer identification number. The employer identification number must be given in any notifications to the health insurance company and also in communications between companies subject to fast-track registration and the DRV (German statutory pension insurance scheme).
Betriebsnummern-Service der Bundesagentur für Arbeit (BNS)
You can apply in writing, by telephone or electronically. Your tax advisor can also do this on your behalf.
You must provide the following information:
- Company name and legal form
- Address at which the employees are engaged
- Telephone number, fax number or e-mail address
- Name of contact person in your company
- Main business of the company
- Any existing employer identification numbers
- Company establishment which reports to the social security authorities (if a different establishment in the company carries out this task)
Note: In order to encrypt the activity and education information of the employees in the notification to the health insurance company, you require a key list. For more information on the employer identification number and on the social security registration procedure, see the internet page of the Bundesagentur für Arbeit (Federal Employment Agency) under Sozialversicherung.
Please remember that company changes in accordance with DEÜV section 5 para. 5 must be notified to the Betriebsnummern-Service (employer identification number service). These include:
- Opening of additional subsidiaries, plant sections, work places
- Change of address
- Changes to company name and legal form
- Change of ownership
- Change of main business of the company
- Change of the "reporting body" Any future notifications concerning the employees of your company shall be made by a different body within the company
- Closure of a company
Release noteThe German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Regionaldirektion Baden-Württemberg der Bundesagentur für Arbeit released it on 26.01.2015. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.