Vehicle registration plates or stickers - replacement in case of illegibility or damage
You require a replacement if
- your registration plate is damaged or has become illegible or
- a sticker (stamp seal or inspection sticker) has come off the registration plate.
the registration authorities (Zulassungsbehörde), which are responsible for the principle residence of the owner (otherwise: company premises or location of the relevant subsidiary)
The registration authorities are
- for an urban district (Stadtkreis): the city council (Stadtverwaltung)
- for a rural district (Landkreis): the rural district office (Landratsamt)
You or your representative should submit the "old" numberplates to the competent body. In most cases, the competent body will exchange the numberplates or stickers on site.
Tip: Should you require new registration plates, you can contact private providers. You can usually find these near the licensing authorities.
- Valid personal identity document or passport
- Additionally in case of representation:
- Written power of attorney
- Valid personal identity document or passport of the representative
- In case of minors: additional declaration consent and identity documents of the parents/guardians
- For legal entities/companies:
- Certification of registration part I (previously: vehicle certificate)
- If the due date of the next main inspection (MI) cannot be found in the registration certificate part I: Proof of a valid main inspection by means of the last MI report
- Previous registration number(s)
Depending on time taken for administration: from 0.50 EUR
Note: Additional costs will be incurred for the number plates.
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Verkehrsministerium released it on 17.09.2015. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.