Resident's Parking Permit
Drivers sometimes need a special permit – in the form of a resident's parking permit to park in certain areas at certain periods of time or even at all times. This applies to larger German cities in particular. The resident's parking permit does not guarantee you a (fixed) parking space.
The permit system gives residents priority access to parking spaces over other drivers. It also prevents drivers from other towns from taking up parking spaces for extended periods of time.
Note: Disabled parking spaces are excluded from the resident's parking permit scheme.
the municipal offices/city council (Gemeinde-/Stadtverwaltung) for your residential address
- You must have already registered your house or flat in the residents' parking zone and you must actually live at this address.
- The vehicle must be registered in your name or must be used by you on a long-term basis. If the vehicle is used on a long-term basis by a person other than the vehicle owner, then this person needs a written confirmation from the vehicle owner that he or she has allowed this person long-term use of his/her vehicle.
Note: The municipality may require you to meet additional requirements (e.g. the house must be your primary residence, you should not have a garage) before they will issue you with a permit. If you are unsure, ask the responsible office about the necessary requirements.
It is generally best to go to the city council in person when applying for a resident's parking permit because of the kind of documents you will need to submit.
That said, some towns and cities allow you to apply for a permit by post or even over the internet. If this is the case you will receive the parking permit by post. If you wish to use either of these two methods, you will first need to contact your local city council to see which documents need to be sent.
- Your driver's licence
- The vehicle registration certificate (Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil I or the old-style Fahrzeugschein)
- A valid ID card or passport with a current certificate of registration
- Where applicable, written confirmation from the vehicle owner if the applicant is not also the vehicle owner
§ 45 Straßenverkehrs-Ordnung (StVO) (Verkehrszeichen und Verkehrseinrichtungen) in connection with the relevant articles of association of your municipality
Release noteThe German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Ministerium für Umwelt, Naturschutz und Verkehr released it on 10.11.2016. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.