Registering with the Register of Medical Practitioners
The Federal Associations of National Health Physicians (Kassenärztliche Vereinigungen) keep a Register of Medical Practitioners for each registration district. These registers contain personal and professional information about each member that is important for licensing purposes.
You must be entered into the Register of Medical Practitioners if you subsequently wish to be licensed to practise medicine or psychotherapy.
the medical practitioner registration office for the (Kassenärztliche Vereinigung),in whose registration district you live
Note: If you do not reside in the Federal Republic of Germany, you may choose any Register of Medical Practitioners you wish.
In order to be registered as a medical practitioner, you must
- be licensed to practice as a doctor, and
- have successfully completed one of the following courses of advanced training:
- advanced general medical training
- advanced training in another specialised field with the entitlement to use a corresponding title
Note: You will also be deemed to meet the advanced training requirements in the following cases:
- You acquired the title of “General Practitioner” before 31 December 1995.
- You have specific qualifications from European Union member states and are licensed to practise medicine in Germany.
In order to be registered as a psychotherapist, you must
- be licensed to practice as a psychotherapist, and
- provide evidence of specialist training.
You can provide evidence of specialist training by submitting proof of the following:
- in-depth training in a recognised treatment method, or
- training and examination in a recognised treatment method that forms the basis of the licence to practise psychotherapy, or
- qualifications, training, advanced training required for the licence to practise psychotherapy or the required number of patients and hours of therapy and theoretical training in a recognised treatment method
You must apply in writing to the competent authority for entry into the Register of Medical Practitioners. You will receive a confirmation.
You have to provide evidence of the details made in the application. In any event you have to attach the following documents to your application:
- birth certificate
- any documents indicating a name change or the entitlement to use a double-barrelled name (e.g. marriage certificate)
- licence to practice medicine (Approbationsurkunde)
- Complete record of your work as a doctor or psychotherapist since passing your qualifying examination
- Documents proving that the requirements are met, e.g.
- Certification of a provisional licence to practise medicine
- Evidence of
- advanced general medical training or
- advanced training in a specialised area of medicine or
- specialist training as a psychotherapist
- Certification confirming your entitlement to use
- a specialist title,
- an additional title and
- the acquisition of specialist training certificates as per the statutory requirements for the profession
- Doctoral degree certificate
- Certification entitling the holder to use an academic title acquired abroad
You must provide originals or certified transcripts of these documents. The competent authority may request additional documents in individual cases.
Note: If you are unable to present the necessary documents, you must provide another form of credible proof that you meet the requirements. Ask the competent authority directly as to what form this proof can take.
- §§ 1 - 10 Zulassungsverordnung für Vertragsärzte (Ärzte-ZV) (Arztregister)
- § 95 a Fünftes Buch Sozialgesetzbuch (SGB V) (Voraussetzung für die Eintragung in das Arztregister für Vertragsärzte)
- § 95 c Fünftes Buch Sozialgesetzbuch (SGB V) (Voraussetzung für die Eintragung von Psychotherapeuten in das Arztregister)
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Sozialministerium released it on 17.07.2015. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.