Extending a residence permit issued for training purposes
You must extend your residence permit in plenty of time if you wish to continue training in Germany. This applies to all citizens of non-EU and non-EEA countries who are undergoing a course of training in Germany.
This permit will allow you
- to participate in language courses that are not intended as preparation for courses of study (intensive German courses),
- to attend school in exceptional cases, or
- to obtain basic and advanced professional training provided the Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit) gives its consent.
the authority for foreign nationals in the district where you normally reside
Depending on where you live, the authority for foreign nationals is the city council (Stadtverwaltung) or rural district office (Landratsamt).
The prerequisites for extending your residence permit are:
- You satisfy the passport and visa obligation.
You are deemed to satisfy the passport obligation if you have an alternative form of identification.
- You have sufficient financial resources to finance your stay.
- There is no expulsion interest against you.
- Your stay does not endanger or influence the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany.
- You satisfy the requirements for admission to the corresponding course of training.
- You do not delay your training inappropriately, and
- you do not exceed the average training period.
You must request the extension in writing from the competent authority.
You will then receive either the desired extension or a notice of rejection.
- Evidence that you satisfy the passport and visa application
- Evidence of sufficient income
- Evidence that there are no grounds for your expulsion
- Evidence that you do not endanger or influence the interests of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Evidence that you satisfy the requirements for admission to the course of training (original)
- Evidence that you
- are not delaying your training inappropriately and
- are not exceeding the average training period.
You will receive the residence permit in the format of a bank card incorporating additional electronic functions. You will find further information at “Application for electronic residence permit (eAT)".
- Extension by up to three months: EUR 96.00
- Extension by more than three months: EUR 93.00
Note: The competent authority can only waive the fees in exceptional cases.
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Innenministerium released it on 29.01.2018. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.