Entry in the register of craftsmen - applying for an exemption approval in accordance with § 8 HWO
With an exemption approval, you fulfil the requirements for entry in the register of craftsmen for a craft which requires a licence.
Attention: By means of this, you are not permitted to take the title of master or train anybody in the craft concerned.
The approval can be limited to technical and economically definable partial activities of a craft which requires a licence.
The Chamber of Crafts and Trades (Handwerkskammer) in whose district your future premises or your place of residence are located
- Reason for exemption for an unlimited exemption approval: Due to exceptional circumstances, it is not reasonable for you to take the master's examination The following are possible reasons for the exemption:
- Your age (for example over 47)
- Limitation to specific activities
- Health and physical impediments
- Other examinations have been taken
For an limited exemption approval:
- Unemployment due to outsourcing
- Likelihood of a company takeover
- Long waiting times for master's examinations
- Proof of qualification
- Knowledge and capabilities in the (particular) craft concerning which are similar to those of a master.
- Sufficient commercial and general legal knowledge
Note: Should it not be possible to provide sufficient proof of qualifications, you can prove the necessary knowledge and capabilities in an informal general knowledge test.
- The examiner must be engaged by the competent chamber of craftsmen.
- You must pay the costs of the examination yourself.
In case of a limited exemption approval, you must repeat the master's examination. As a rule, you have a maximum of two years to do so. The deadline is determined in accordance with the individual case and circumstances. You must provide proof of registration for all parts of the master's preparatory course and admittance to the master's examination.
Note: Your overall situation will be taken into account. Lack of time or funds and excessive workload are not reasons for exemption.
You must apply for the exemption approval in writing. You can also send the application by e-mail. Please use the form which can be downloaded from the Internet.
After your documents have been examined, you will receive either a notice that you have been granted an exemption or a notice of rejection.
On request, the chamber of craftsmen will grant the competent specialist organisation a hearing.
- Proof of general knowledge or qualifications and/or
- proof of the duration of professional practice in the craft which is being applied for (training, vocational development and work references, personal references) where present
Once you have received the exception approval, the the Registration in the Register of Craftsmen (Eintragung in die Handwerksrolle) can take place. You can also take up employment as a technical operations manager in another company.
Depends on the individual case.
Please request further information from the competent authority.
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Baden-Württembergische Handwerkstag e. V. für die Arbeitsgemeinschaft der Handwerkskammern released it on 01.09.2017. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.