Registering with the List of Architects (Architektenliste)
You may only use the job title “architect”, “interior designer”, “landscape architect” or “urban planner” if you are registered with a corresponding job title in the List of Architects.
If you are a freelancer and do not work in the construction industry, you may use one of the following job titles after registration:
- “freelance architect”,
- “freelance interior designer”,
- “freelance landscape architect”,
- “freelance urban planner”
The List of Architects is kept by the Chamber of Architects (Architektenkammer) for Baden-Württemberg.
The competent authority will register you in the List of Architects if
- you reside and your business has an office in Baden-Württemberg, or if you mostly work in Baden-Württemberg, and
- you are professionally qualified as per the Architects Act (Architektengesetz).
Note: Citizens of EU/EEA member states and citizens of other countries without a residence or business location in Baden-Württemberg may render architectural services on a temporary basis. You must notify the Chamber of Architects of this and furnish corresponding evidence.
Send a written application for registration to the Chamber of Architects.
Your application must include the following minimum information:
- first name
- date of birth
- academic degrees
- address of your principal residence and any branch office or your main business location
- subject area in which you wish to be registered (architecture, interior design, landscape architecture, urban planning).
- type of work (freelance, employed, civil servant, construction industry)
If you meet all the requirements, you will be registered in the List of Architects in Baden-Württemberg.
If the competent authority does not approve your application, you will receive a written statement explaining the reasons and providing information on legal remedies.
- examination certificates, diplomas, other evidence of professional qualifications or certification of your fitness to practise your profession
- evidence of practical work after completing your professional training
- evidence that you hold professional liability insurance (copy of insurance certificate)
- confirmation of registration
- as evidence of personal reliability:
- if residing in Germany: certificate of good conduct (Führungszeugnis)
- if residing abroad: documents from the applicant’s country of origin proving that you are personally reliable and fit to provide the service offered
- The competent authority may request additional documents, e.g.
- curriculum vitae
- evidence that you have undergone advanced training
- planning and other documents that can be used to assess the applicant’s fitness for the profession
- certification from the respective employer
Note: The conditions of registration stipulated in the Architects Act are highly differentiated (e.g. with regard to training qualifications). In individual cases, the Chamber of Architects may therefore request other documents in addition to those listed. Please request further information from the Chamber of Architects in plenty of time. You should also refer to the notes on filling out the application form.
- § 2 Architektengesetz (ArchG) (Berufsbezeichnung)
- § 2a Architektengesetz (ArchG) (Partnerschaften)
- § 2b Architektengesetz (ArchG) (Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung)
- § 3 Architektengesetz (ArchG) (Architektenliste)
- § 4 Architektengesetz (ArchG) (Voraussetzungen für die Eintragung)
- § 8 Architektengesetz (ArchG) (Auswärtige Architekten und Stadtplaner)
- Verordnung des Wirtschaftsministeriums über das Eintragungs- und Löschungsverfahren nach dem Architektengesetz (Architekteneintragungsverordnung)
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wirtschaftsministerium released it on 05.07.2017. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.