Procedure descriptions


Applying to have foreign school-leaving certificates recognised

Did you attend a school abroad and obtain a school-leaving qualification there? If so, you can have it recognised as equivalent to a school-leaving certificate in Baden-Württemberg. However, you must apply to have it recognised.

You may for example need to have your school-leaving certificate recognised if you wish to do any of the following in Baden-Württemberg:

  • attend certain colleges of further education,
  • apply for traineeships in certain skilled professions.

The foreign school certificate will be classified with a comparable qualification in Baden-Württemberg for recognition purposes.

Examples of certificates or final qualifications that can be classified and/or recognised:

  • intermediate certificate or an equivalent level of education (intermediate school-leaving certificate (Realschulabschluss), entrance qualification for technical college (Fachschulreife), technical upper school maturity (Fachoberschulreife))
  • leaving qualification from a “Hauptschule” or equivalent level of education
  • vocational qualification awarded by a school
  • higher education entrance qualification for vocational purposes
  • higher education entrance qualification for German applicants with foreign certification

Responsible authority

The Department of Evaluation and Recognition for Certificates of Education at the administrative headquarters (Regierungspräsidium) in Stuttgart


The prerequisites are:

  • Your principle residence is in Baden-Württemberg, or
  • you have applied in Baden-Württemberg for
    • a course of basic or advanced training, or
    • a job, or
    • you are a German national who has applied for a course of study with foreign certificates of education


You must apply to have your educational qualification recognised, either in person or in writing using the application form provided. You must also explain why you need the evaluation.

Fill out the form and send it to the competent authority by post together with all the necessary documents. You can also submit the documents in person.

You will receive written notification of the results of the evaluation and any recognition of equivalency.
The authority responsible for recognising your qualification will issue a certificate if the equivalency of your qualification is recognised.

Required documents

  • Personal ID
  • Proof of citizenship and personal data (passport/personal ID)
  • for citizens of non-EU countries: residence permit
  • foreign school-leaving certificates with list of subjects and grades
  • evidence of studies (if available)
  • if the name on the certificate is not the same as the name on your identification document: evidence of the name change, in both the original language and as an official translation
  • If you are applying to have the fees waived on the grounds of low income, you will also need:
    • evidence of income (family income)
    • evidence of the number of family members

You must submit the certificates as officially certified copies. Copies are officially certified, if an original stamp on these certifies that the copy corresponds to the original. Other original language documents must be submitted by you in the original language and as an official translation, each as a normal copy, not as an officially certified copy.
Documents in English or French are excepted; these do not have to be translated.

Note: Official translations may only be prepared by sworn translators.


early; take any application deadlines into account


Evaluation of the equivalency of educational certificates, per certificate: EUR 100.00

You may apply to have the fee waived if your income is low.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Regierungspräsidium Stuttgart released it on 18.01.2017. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.

Die hier dargestellten Informationen werden von service-bw übernommen und regelmäßig aktualisiert.