Aspects of daily life

Other Deregistration and Registration Procedure

  • Gas, Electricity, Water, Heating, waste collection
    If you move, then it is your duty to inform the relevant public utility company in good time that you are moving out or moving in and to terminate the utility supply contract for your old house on the due date.
    In most cases, the public utility companies allow you to read the current meter readings for gas, electricity, heating and water yourself on the day you move out of your old flat and on the day you move into the new flat, and to notify the relevant public utility company. Smaller public utility companies will often make an appointment with you to take down the meter readings.
    If you are a tenant in a house, then it is best to take down the current meter readings in the presence of the landlord and to record the result in writing in the handover report. You can send the meter readings to the public utility companies by telephone, in writing or - if offered by the relevant public utility company - electronically from the internet. You should inform the public utility company of your old house of your new address, so that they can send you the final invoice. Check that the details on your final invoice are accurate. If you do not notify the public utility company of your move, then the contractual relationship still exists and you will continue to be held responsible for paying any costs incurred.
  • Cable Connection Provider
    When moving you have to cancel, deregister or reregister your cable connection. If there is a cable connection in your new house, then you can also reregister this by telephone.
    If you change your place of residence within or to Baden-Wuerttemberg, please contact Kabel Baden-Württemberg GmbH & Co. KG (Kabel BW). If you move to another Federal State, then please contact the relevant provider. Kabel BW also offers a corresponding online service. On the page "Network availability", we check whether a cable connection is possible in your new house.
    If the cable connection is settled by your landlord, then as a tenant you are generally exempted from these registration formalities.
  • Public transport
    Do you have a subscription for a weekly, monthly, yearly or special ticket (e.g. old age pensioners- ticket or family ticket) for public transport (Öffentlichen Personennahverkehr - ÖPNV)?
    Notify your new address to your transport company or your transport association to be sent the tokens. If the number of fare zones change due to the move, then please contact the point of sales of your transport company.
    You should also notify a change in your bank details to your transport company in good time.
    In Baden-Württemberg there are 22 Transport and Tariff Associations. Moving to another municipality could mean that you might change into the area of responsibility of another Transport and Tariff Association or that you need a ticket that is valid beyond the boundaries of this network. You can get more information in the section "Local Public Transport and Rail Traffic" (Öffentlicher Personennahverkehr (ÖPNV) und Schienenverkehr) in the aspects of daily life "Traffic and its Infrastructure" (Verkehr und Verkehrswege).
  • Telephone and Internet
    You have to deregister the telephone extension in your old house at your telephone company in writing (the address is on every invoice - there you can also find a service number, under which you could clarify any eventual queries). The procedure description "Deregistering/Registering the Telephone" offers more information.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Innenministerium released it on 24.04.2015. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.