Aspects of daily life

Social Matters

Students can take advantage of a whole range of assistance, which supports them in coping with the day to day life of a student. They can contact the Student Union, whose task it is to look after and promote the students in economical, social, health and cultural matters. At present there are eight Student Unions in Baden-Württemberg. You can find them in our Government Agency Help Site. The students pay a Student Union Contribution per semester so that these tasks can be carried out by the Student Union.

Related to this, the following topics could be significant:

Moving House

Starting to study is often combined with moving house. Details can be found in the specially listed Aspect of Daily Life "Moving House".

Social Counselling Service

The Social Counselling Service is in most cases the first contact point for students at a Student Union. It offers counselling and information on the social and economic situation of the students, and gives guidance and decision-making support on a wide range of problems (e.g. on questions about coverage of the statutory social insurance system).


Students are offered a form of accommodation that is reasonably priced and practical by the Student Unions in Baden-Württemberg, which offer places in their halls of residence if they have free capacity. You should apply in good time for this accommodation (when applying for the place of study, at the latest after receiving the notification of admission).

In addition to the Student Union, also denominational, municipal and other institutions offer places in their halls of residence.

When looking for a flat on the open market, you are supported by the local Student Union within the scope of its accommodation office to provide private rooms. You can obtain information on this in the online offer of the respective Student Union.

Tip: Here you will find information on Housing Benefit and Special Permit for subsidised Housing for Students.


The Student Unions offer inexpensive and healthy food in their refectories and cafeterias. The services range from menus to snacks.


Secure financing is a requirement for each course of study. The departments for student loans at the student unions give advice on the various options regarding financial security during the course of study. In particular, applications for BAföG are processed there. In addition to this, the student loans departments also give advice on other financing options such as KFW student loans, educational loans and the like or give information on scholarships.

Local Public Transport - StudiTicket

The Student Unions in Baden-Württemberg offers use of public transport at a reduced price due to a cooperation with the Public Transport Associations in many towns in which institutions of higher education are located.

To finance this, the students pay a "Solidarity Contribution" with the Students Union Contribution in those towns in which such options are offered. Just for this solidarity contribution alone, they get the possibility to use local public transfer in the evenings at no extra costs. Moreover, whoever wants to use the transport network of the Public Transport Association has to purchase a so-called "StudiTicket", which however is far cheaper than any other ticket due to the fact that the Solidarity Contribution finances this also.

You can get more information on the "StudiTicket" from the relevant Student Union.

In addition, so-called lift-sharing schemes "Mitfahrezentralen" offer to find cheap alternatives for journeys home.

Studying with Children

Pregnancy and bringing up children while studying make particular requirements on students. Here too, the Student Unions help studying parents by providing their own childcare facilities at many places where there are institutions of higher education and provide care that is specially adapted to the student's day to day life. More information can be obtained at your respective Student Union.

Tip: The portal promoted by the Ministerium für Wissenschaft, Forschung und Kunst Baden-Württemberg "Kinderbetreuungsangebote an Hochschulen und Berufsakademien in Baden-Württemberg" helps students and dependents of the institutions with children to look for a suitable place in day care.

During maternity leave or during parental leave, you can be granted leave upon application. During the leave of absence, you can still attend courses, do course achievements and examinations and use the facilities of your institution of higher education. You can find more detailed information in the procedure description “Interrupting the course of study (leave of absence)”.

Furthermore you can find an overview of the childcare options as well as financial assistance and support in the aspect of daily life "Kinderbetreuung" (Childcare).


Extensive information on "Studying and Disabilities" can be found in the same named brochure of the German Student Unions. This can also be ordered free of charge in large writing or as an ASCII floppy disk under the following contact address.

Tip: In addition to the services mentioned in detail, the Students Unions in Baden-Württemberg also offer other support and advisory services. They include: Student Union loans at favourable conditions for needy students, counselling, legal advice, cultural events, student housing and much more. Inquire on site about what is on offer at the location of your institution of higher education.

Psychotherapeutic Counselling Centres

Psychotherapeutic counselling centres (PBS) have been set up in all eight student unions. They are intended as points of contact for all students, who suffer from study-related or personal problems.

The PBS provide various counselling and support services (e.g. counselling for individuals, couples or groups, online or e-mail counselling services). You can find out who the contact persons are from each student union.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wissenschaftsministerium released it on 06.02.2015. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.

Die hier dargestellten Informationen werden von service-bw übernommen und regelmäßig aktualisiert.